Monday, January 21, 2008

Wrap it up, everytime.

Basically, if you're relying on catering for lunch everyday, you're taking a risk. Like I have mentioned before my office has catered lunch everyday. I am trying to not pack myself healthy lunches, but learn how to make healthier choices so that I don't have to spend money on lunch when it's being offered to me free.

But there comes a time when there just are no healthy options available. When the options are corn bread, brisket, mac and cheese and spare ribs, you're left with little wiggle room.

The best thing you can do, which I will now try to do everyday, is bring in SOMETHING. If your caterer is serving heavy foods but also serving salad, bring your own salad fixings. If you know it's going to be all barbecue foods, make yourself a sandwich. There's got to be some fall back plan.

In addition to regretting having not brought my own lunch, the heavy items served today weren't even that good. I am learning that it feels better to eat a healthy lunch and breakfast and that I have an easier time getting through my day. Comfort foods and processed foods just want to make me take a nap.

Well, I always want to nap but more so after tasting the cornbread.

Even packing your own snacks is better than relying on the freebies. Last week I remembered to pack myself some fruits like kiwi, blueberries and bananas. I also packed almonds, multi grain english muffins and string cheese. This week I have nothing. My options are potato chips or kudos bars. It's going to be a long day with all this in my belly.

Hopefully after a lot of water and a sensible dinner, I'll feel a bit better. A nice nap on the trainride home will also do the trick. Thank you, MTA.

No comments: